Every lifetime license for any ISPsystem software product includes one year of free updates. After one year, updates can be obtained with a yearly subscription, which cost equals 50% of the yearly license cost.
How will I know that updates for my license have expired?
Once updates for your lifetime license expire, you will see the following notification in the admin’s interface:
“Updates Subscription for your license expired on … Please contact your vendor”
The client can check the expiration date in his Client area.
or execute the command in the console:
mgrName is the short name of a control panel:
- ispmgr — ISPmanager;
- billmgr — BILLmanager;
- vmmgr — VMmanager KVM or Cloud;
- vemgr — VMmanager OVZ;
- dcimgr — DCImanager;
- ipmgr — IPmanager;
- dnsmgr — DNSmanager.
What will happen if I don’t update?
- The control panel will continue working but you won’t be able to update it to a newer version.
- If several ISPsystem’s control panels are running on the same server, and subscription for one of them expires, none of the panels on that server will get further updates.
- You cannot add new servers to the cluster in ISPmanager Business, VMmanager, or DCImanager.
- Some integration modules with third-party solutions may work incorrectly due to the changes made by a third-party.
- You may need to migrate to a new server. To import the control panel from one server to another, you need to install a trial version on a new server and when the import is completed, change the IP address of the lifetime license into the IP of the trial license. The trial license always installs the latest version available. So, the lifetime license with the expired updates package won’t be able to work with that new version on the new server.
All updates are included in the update subscription, and security updates are no exception. If you haven’t updated your Lifetime license for several years, and we have released a security update, you will need to purchase updates for all the elapsed years, in order to be able to update your panel.
How to purchase updates
For end users
If you purchased a lifetime license directly from ISPsystem (https://my.ispsystem.com), buy updates in your Client area →”ISPsystem licenses”.
If you purchased a license from one of ISPsystem’s resellers or partners, you won’t be able to obtain updates subscription from ISPsystem. Contact your license vendor directly.
The Updates package for a lifetime license is valid starting not from the date when you paid the invoice, but from the expiration date of the previous updates package (you can see the date in your Client area). The packaage includes all the new features, improvements, and bug fixes that we have released since you updated the panel for the last time. From the technical point of view, you cannot update your license only for a certain period, that’s why you need to purchase packages for the whole period.
Your updates package expired on January 20, 2017. If you buy the updates package in March or in another month of the current year, it will expire on January 20, 2918. If you skip the current year you will have to buy two packages that will be valid until January 20, 2019.
The minimum period for an updates package is one year. You cannot renew a lifetime license by purchasing a new monthly or annualy license for the same IP address.
Reselling using API
If you resell ISPsystem’s licenses using the API, the request for a lifetime license update will look like this:
Reselling of licenses through BILLmanager 4
If you resell licenses using BILLmanager 4 integrated with BILLmanager 5, you can purchase updates as follows:
- Go to your ISPsystem Client area.
- Generate an expense for subscription in BILLmanager 4 (Clients → Expenses → Create).
The reselling module in BILLmanager 4 doesn’t support the reselling of update subscriptions and we no longer develop and support it. We strongly recommend that you upgrade to BILLmanager 5.
Reselling of licenses through BILLmanager 5
The cost of the update subscription equals 50% of the yearly license cost.
How to install an old version of a control panel
If you reinstall the server for some reason, but updates for your lifetime license have already expired, you have to install an older version of a product.
Download the installation script:
How to find the right version
Select a version, which release date is less than or equals to the updates expiration date
If updates for your lifetime license expired on January 25, 2016, you won’t be able to install a version released after January 25, 2016.
Is it possible to roll back to the old version?
This operation is not supported. The control panel won’t work after you roll back to the old version. Trying to open the web-interface will show the license activation warning.
The only solution is to buy the updates package.
We use the separate repositories to ensure the correct operation of every version of a control panel:
where 5.51 is a control panel version.
A control panel will run under a certain version enabling you to install additional packages (e.g. when you add a cluster node) for your control panel once its updates expire.
Starting from version 5.50 the system performs additional checks:
- /usr/local/mgr5/sbin/licctl info <panel name> is called, and the Update expire parameter is read
- Update expire is compared with a date on the licensing server.
- The system will connect a repository of a certain version, which release data is closest to but not larger than the Updates subscription expiration date (Update expire). If updates of your license have expired, the latest repository will be connected.
Initially, stable5 or beta5 will be connected depending on a version you choose. If licctl info returns the “Update expire” parameter during the next license check, the repository will be changed (as described above). If the “Update expire” parameter is not received, the repository will remain unchanged stable5/beta5.
Once updates for your license expire, the panel kernel will no longer change the repository to a new version, thus blocking updates for a software product.
If you enabled the option “Do not update”, the repository file won’t be changed into the actual one during license download. In order to get updates for the panel, select “Update ISPsystem products”, download the license file, and update the panel manually.