An auto-responder allows you to set up automated replies to incoming email. This feature can be useful for confirming the receipt of mail.
To set up an auto-reposnder:
- Go to Domain → Mail domains → Mailboxes → Auto-responder or Accounts → Mailboxes→ Auto-responders.
- In the From field enter the email address that will be used as a sender email in the auto-responder message.
- Enter the email Subject.
- Enter the Message.
- In the Attach file field attach a file for your message. Specify a directory which is relative to the user directory. E.g. if the user directory is “/var/www/user/data”, and the path to the file is “/file”, the file “/var/www/user/data/file/” will be attached.
- Enable the option Enable auto-responder.
- Click Ок.
The following files are created in /var/www/<mail domain owner>/data/email/<mail domain name>/<mailbox name>:
- .responder.msg — an auto-responder reply;
- .responder.db — the auto-responder log.
The following record will be added into /etc/exim/aliases:
The auto-responder is processed once in 24 hours for every sender. This helps to prevent multiple messages when one auto-responder sends a reply to the other. The time of the last reply is defined by the log.